Today’s security landscape is unpredictable and shifting every single day. In order to stay ahead of viruses and malware, we’ve taken a look at the new security products for both business and home use — including the best free products for home.
Business security protection software
TechRadar just released a great roundup of the best business antivirus software of 2018 with special considerations for small to medium businesses. Read more on their website for in-depth overviews, pricing and pros and cons. Author Mike Williams’ list of 8 software programs spans the spectrum from modest price tags to the best protection available.
The top 5 options he reviews include:
1. Avast Business Antivirus Pro; “a great value back-to-basics protection for your PC”
2. Symantec Endpoint Protection 14; “high-grade professional protection for servers and desktops”
3. Bitdefender GravityZone Business Security; “market-leading detection rates at a bargain price”
4. Avira Antivirus for Endpoint; “easy-to-use antivirus for small business”
5. Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud 4.0; “the latest offering shields PCs and mobile devices”
The best PC security suites of 2018 for home use
If you’re interested in the latest in-home PC security options, check out this list of the best security suites of 2018 from PCMag. Their recent overview tested and reviewed over 50 options and narrowed it down to their top 10 recommendations for PCs.
The top 3 options included in the chart are:
1. Bitdefender Internet Security; “aces independent antivirus tests and has an amazing collection of features”
2. Kaspersky Internet Security; “components are consistently effective, the very best antivirus lab scores”
3. Symantec Norton Security Premium; “feature-packed winner with top-notch antivirus and no measurable impact on performance”
Prices are modest, ranging from $24.99 to $49.95 for the lowest price option of the suite. It’s worth noting that this is typically a one-year subscription. The article’s comparison chart includes information about features like firewall, antispam, parental control, backup and tune-up.
The best Mac security suites of 2018 for home use
For Mac users, this list from Macworld highlights the top 10 antivirus options for 2018. It’s well researched and offers good insight into the pros and cons of each option.
Top 3 options include:
1. Intego Mac Internet Security X9; “did its core job better than any other antivirus apps”
2. Norton Security for Mac; “unobtrusive, with automatic, always-on protection enabled by default”
3. Sophos Antivirus for Mac; “mercifully minimalist, with absolutely no application window included”
Helpful to note: Each product itself gets an in-depth review after the overview if you’d like more information.
The best free antivirus in 2018
If you’re looking for the most basic protection, this list from TechRadar offers the best free antivirus software including distinctions for Windows, Mac, and Android operating systems.
The top picks are:
1. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition; “fast scanning and excellent virus detection”
2. Avast Free Antivirus; “doesn’t slow down your computer and great virus detection”
3. Sophos Home; “simple and non-intrusive, good cloud-based control of protected devices”
It’s worth noting that despite these free options, you can get very good antivirus protection for just dollars a month. Check out the article to see very modest price tags alongside the free choices.
For more safety and cybersecurity insight
Cyber Security Technologies provides enterprise solutions and technology consulting in cybersecurity, systems integration, engineering development and product support. We also deliver application customization and consultation services to businesses for cross-platform integration of the patented RecordVault product or technology incorporating software-based multifactor authentication (MFA).
If you have concerns about safety or cybersecurity for your business, contact us for a free consultation.